|Jesus: Loud & Clear; Front & Center (Hebrews)||
Why Is Jesus Better Than the Angels
|November 16, 2014|
For the Week of November 16, 2014
Purpose: Angels are often seen as mighty messengers of God in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. When in the presence of an angel, men often fall on the face in fear and awe, but the angel is quick to correct that they are not to be worshipped. In verses 4-14 of Hebrews 1, the author begins his reasoned premise that Jesus is superior to the very foundations of Jewish belief by showing how Jesus is better than the angels.
Sermon in a Sentence: “It’s Jesus the Son of God who takes center stage, not the angels, and his deity, eternality, and kingship all point to his superiority.”
This Week’s Resources:
- The Compass Bible Study
- Word Search Answer Key
- Lighthouse Discussion Guide
- Lighthouse Leader Study Guide
- Extra! Angels: Messengers and Ministers of God
“Millions of angels are at God’s command and at our service. The hosts of heaven stand at attention as we make our way from earth to glory, and Satan’s BB guns are no match for God’s heavy artillery.” – Billy Graham
- Looking back at your notes from this week’s sermon, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
- How do you think you might react if you saw an angel?
- How does popular culture tend to depict Angels? Can you give some examples?
Sermon in a Sentence
It’s Jesus the Son of God who takes center stage, not the angels, and his deity, eternality, and kingship all point to his superiority.
Read the Text
Hebrews 1 shows that Jesus is superior to the prophets and to angels. God had spoken fully through his Son but only partially and imperfectly through the prophets. Jesus is superior to angels because he is God’s Son, while angels are created spirits sent by God to minister to believers. As God’s Son, Jesus is his heir, co-creator of the universe, exercising authority over creation and over his enemies. Read Hebrews 1:4-14
- What do we know about angels? The following fifteen references give a good summary of what the Bible says about angels. As you look up each reference, jot down the things you discover.
1 Peter 1:12
- How is Jesus superior to the angels? Consider the following areas:
- In relation to the Father.
- In the act of worship.
- In the demonstration of authority.
- In position and purpose.
The key to understanding angels and their functions is to understand the relationship they have with us as believers. Let’s review a little of what we’ve learned in this study.
- What is the relationship between angels and the Lord Jesus Christ?
- Name some things that angels do for you as a believer.
- Name some things that angels cannot do for you. Key in on things that are accomplished by God instead.