Here is the curriculum for the week of February 16. Our topic is “You and Your City: Encouragement” and our text is Acts 18:1-17.
- Sermon Notes & Discussion Guide for FFC Ankeny (.pdf)
- Sermon Notes & Discussion Guide for FFC Bondurant (.pdf)
- Lighthouse Leader Study Guide (.pdf)
- Registration continues for our Marriage Retreat at Honey Creek Resort, February 28-March 1. Our guest speakers this year are Paul & Jenny Sabino. Full details plus registration are available online at http://www.ffclife.com/marriage2014/
- This Sunday we will have a congregational vote following the morning services (at both the Ankeny and Bondurant campuses). The vote is approve some changes to our church’s bylaws concerning the selection of deacons and the addition of an amendment defining marriage from a biblical perspective. Copies of the changes have been available to the church the last three weeks.
- Are you planning your Summer? Consider going on a short-term mission experience to Utah. The dates for this year’s trip are June 16-23, and the cost is $400 per person. This includes all transportation, lodging, and most meals. This is also the official mission trip for FFC Youth (Jr. High and High School). This is a great opportunity for students to get missions experience at an affordable and safe location. For more information and to register, visit www.ffclife.com/utah. A deposit of $100 is due March 2 to hold your place on the charter bus. If you have any questions, please see Tom Urban or David Haines. If you have questions about the youth aspect of this trip, contact Kayla Nikkel (email@example.com).
Overview of this Lesson:
Following his brief stay in Athens, Paul moves on to the city of Corinth. As we continue our brief mini-series on “You and Your City,” this week we look at the importance of encouragement. In the article at the conclusion of this week’s notes, Jerry Bridges defines encouragement as, “to inspire another with courage. Courage is the mental or spiritual strength to persevere in the face of difficulty. So to encourage someone is to fortify that person with the spiritual strength to persevere in spite of hardship.”
Encouragement is at the top of the list of our responsibilities to one another as believers. All around us are those who need encouragement. At the same time, we need to proactively pursue encouragement when it comes to our missionary family. These men, women, and children are away from their homeland, sometimes living in hostile environments, and disconnected by great distances those who have partnered with them for prayer and financial support.
As we focus on the importance of encouragement this lesson, challenge your Lighthouse members to look beyond themselves and to be actively involved in encouraging fellow FFC’ers and the missionaries we support.
You will find an excellent article by Jerry Bridges at the conclusion of this week’s notes, and as always, we’ve provided insightful commentary on each verse from this week’s text. Use as needed.
Sermon in a Sentence
“As the Lord Jesus builds His church, He continually encourages His weary workmen and never leaves or forsakes them.”
Here are some upcoming dates that may affect Lighthouses this semester. Keep these on your radar.
- Congregational Meeting—Feb. 16
- Marriage Retreat—Feb. 28 & March 1
- Time Change Sunday (Spring Forward)—March 9
- Spring Break—March 17-21
- Easter Experience—April 13-20
- Easter Holiday (Church Offices Closed)—April 21
- Mother’s Day—May 11
- Graduation Sunday—May 18
- Spring Lighthouse Season Ends—May 23
- Labor Day Holiday (Church Offices Closed)—May 26